It's gluten free, just make sure to check your soy sauce and veggie broth for gluten. Instead of veggie broth, I used water and Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base and I use San-J Tamari Sauce.
General Tao's Tofu
- 1 (12 ounce) box firm tofu, in 1" cubes (frozen, thawed and pressed, if desired)
- 1 egg or egg equivalent (e.g., EnerG Egg Replacer), prepared
- 3 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided
- vegetable oil for frying + 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sherry, optional
- red pepper, to taste
- steamed broccoli, to serve
1. Mix the egg (or egg substitute) and 3 tablespoons water. Dip tofu in egg mixture and coat completely. Sprinkle 3/4 cup cornstarch over tofu and coat completely. Watch out that the cornstarch doesn't clump up at the bottom of the bowl.
2. Heat oil in pan and fry tofu pieces until golden. Drain oil. Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in pan on medium heat. Add green onions, ginger, and garlic; cook for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn garlic.
3. Add vegetable stock, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, sherry, and red pepper.
4. Mix 2 tablespoons water with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and pour into mixture stirring well. Add fried tofu and coat evenly.
Serve immediately with steamed broccoli over your choice of rice.
Serves: 4, Preparation time: 30 Minutes