Friday, August 12, 2011

Vegetarian Chili


I have a couple of friends who are vegetarian so I do a lot of meat free cooking.  In fact, I was a pescetarian before I found out I was gluten intolerant.  I ate fish and seafood, eggs and dairy but no other animals.  But a lot of the meat analogs that I used to eat contain gluten and I had to give them up.  (Actually, discovering I was gluten intolerant totally explained why I always thought seitan was pure evil!)  Anyway, while I was learning to eat GF, it was kind of tough getting enough protein in my diet so I started eating a little poultry, beef and pork.  I know!  I know!  There are lots of gluten free, meat free people out there, but hey, I'm only a kid! 

But I really prefer to go meat free when possible so I was thrilled when I found out that some brands of Soyrizo are GF.  It's such a versatile product with so much great flavor.  We always have a tube in the fridge. I use El Burrito Soyrizo and I use it in chili, tortilla pie, tacos, beans and rice... all kinds of things. If you've never used it before, remove the outside plastic wrapping. The soyrizo comes in a plastic tube that's folded in half.  Cut the end off the tube and squeeze it out.  It has a soft texture, kind of like ground meat.   If you only want to use a half of tube, wrap the rest and store it in the fridge or the freezer.
(Note: El Burrito Soyrizo contains caramel color so if that makes you nervous, you may prefer to use a different brand.)
How do you like that 1950's counter top?

This is the kind of chili that meat eaters can't believe is vegetarian.  It's that good!  It whips up really quick and it doesn't have to simmer for very long.  Start to finish, this takes about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how fast you chop veggies.  It has a nice amount of heat but if you want it hotter, add a dried chili pepper or some red pepper flakes.  I like mine topped with some sliced green onions and shredded cheese with corn chips or Bob's Red Mill GF corn bread on the side.

Vegetarian Chili
  • 1 tablespoon coconut, olive or veggie oil
  • 1 tube Soyrizo
  • 1 large bell pepper, diced (I use half each of a red and green pepper)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • about 4 ounces of mushrooms, diced (crimini, baby bella, button, portabello...) optional
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced (about a heaping tablespoon of the jarred stuff) I know it sounds like a lot.  Just do it!
  • 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth or 1/2 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon of bouillon (I use Better Than Bouillon No Beef Base or Vegetable Base)
  • 2 tablespoons dried oregano
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 3 15 oz. cans of beans - 1 each white, red and black- drained and rinsed.
  • 1 cup of corn - fresh or frozen
Heat the oil in a large pot and saute onion, peppers and mushrooms for about 5 minutes.  Squeeze the entire tube of soyrizo into the pot.  Saute a few more minutes.  Add all of the remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer and cover, stirring occasionally, for at least 30 minutes.
 
Serves:6

No comments:

Post a Comment