Lists. I like them!
When I first found out I had to give up gluten, I felt like all I did was think about food. I'm hungry, what can I eat? Can I eat this? Or that? Ugh! I don't want to think about food all the time. I got better things to think about! Things like what's going to happen on the next episode of Phineas and Ferb!
But like it or not, I had to learn how to live my new gluten free lifestyle. And how do you learn new stuff? You take notes so you have something to study when you have to take a test. At least that's what the teachers tell me. So I made lists of things to eat and hung them on the refrigerator. Ideas for breakfast, lunch, snacks and treats. Those lists really helped when I was starving and all I wanted to do was eat, NOW! I would peruse the lists until I found something that sounded good and that's what I made. Eventually, I looked at the lists less and less. I was learning! I thought I would share my notes with you so you can learn, too. Starting with my snack cheat sheet.
25 of my favorite GF snacks, in no particular order:
- Nut Thins Crackers (any flavor) with cheese and pepperoni or whatever else I can find to stack on top
- Glutino Pretzels plain or dipped in cheese spread, peanut butter, chocolate frosting, Nutella or cream cheese with red pepper jelly
- Apples with peanut butter or a sprinkle of sea salt
- Quaker Apple Cinnamon or Chocolate Crunch Rice Cakes with peanut butter (and jelly) or Lightly Salted Rice Cakes with cream cheese (and jelly) or Nutella
- Frogs on a log (celery stuffed with cream cheese and topped with green olive slices)
- Carrots and hummus
- Bora Bora Bars (Exotic Coconut Almond is my favorite)
- Fritos or tortilla chips with salsa, nacho cheese, guacamole, hummus, bean dip, chili or anything else I can find to dip them in
- Delimex Taquitos with taco sauce
- Popcorn mixed with potato chips, Fritos and/or Cheetos (a party favorite)
- Van's GF waffles with peanut butter, Nutella or honey
- A mix of Honey Nut Chex, peanuts and M&Ms
- Cucumber Crackers
- A hard boiled egg with salt and pepper or deviled eggs
- Smokehouse Almonds
- Fresh pineapple spears, fruit salad, fruit kabobs or whatever fresh, frozen or canned fruit we have on hand, dipped in vanilla yogurt or plain
- Roasted chickpeas
- Lettuce wraps stuffed with tuna or chicken salad
- Ham, cream cheese and pickle roll-ups
- Jello or pudding with Cool Whip
- String cheese, cheese curds or any kind of cheese!
- Banana bonbons (frozen chocolate covered banana bites)