There are lots of gluten free taco seasoning blends in the store, so I never really thought about making my own. That is, until one day when we ran out. And I had a huge craving for tacos.
So I did an on-line search and found a basic taco seasoning recipe. I made it several times, tweaking it slightly each time, until I was happy. Now, I make it in bulk and store it in a mason jar in the cupboard and use it in lots of different recipes.
Taco Seasoning = 1 package
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- a pinch to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes (Depending on how hot you want it.)
Taco Seasoning in bulk (=4 packages)
- 4 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon - 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes (Depending on how hot you want it.)
- Mix 3 tablespoons taco seasoning and 1/3 cup water with 1 pound of cooked and drained ground meat. Simmer for 3-5 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- TVP tacos: Combine 2 cups of water, 1 3/4 cup TVP and 3 tablespoons taco seasoning. Cover and microwave 5-6 minutes, stirring half way through. Add more water if necessary.