Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Microwave Baking, Part 2: GF Chocolate Cake


Wow!  You have been waiting a very long time for Part 2 of this series!  
Thank you for being so patient.
But believe me, this cake is worth waiting for! 


After the success of the microwave cinnamon muffin, I decided to try playing around with the recipe and see if I could make some different flavored muffins.
Dad suggested chocolate.  (He thinks everything should taste like chocolate!)
I did everything the same except I substituted cocoa powder for the cinnamon.
Dad said it tasted just like a chocolate donut.
I had to take his word for that since I haven't eaten a chocolate donut in over 2 years and don't remember what they taste like.
It was good but I thought it could be better... sweeter... chocolatier...
So I played around with the recipe and I came up with a chocolate chip cake that is D-licious with a capital D!

Don't expect this to be a light, fluffy cake.  It's made with flax and almond meal so it's kind of healthy and fairly substantial.  Cut it into little wedges and share it with your lady-in-waiting or any other friend that happens to be around!

 Then one day, Ma came home from the grocery store with a bag of Milky Way Midnight Minis and as I let that little chocolaty cloud of goodness melt in my mouth, I started thinking...  
What if I used chopped up candy bars instead of chocolate chips?
I tried it and it is D-vine with a capital D! 

I bet 3 Musketeers would also be yummy in this cake.  Mmm, I can't wait to try that, too!

Note:  
According to the ingredient label, Milky Way Midnights do not contain gluten.
However, regular Milky Ways are Off Limits because they contain barley malt.  
Remember to always read those labels and if your not sure, don't eat it! 

Gluten free has never been this good or easy!



Chocolate Cake
  • 1/8 cup ground flax*
  • 1/8 cup ground almonds*  (I use Trader Joe's Simply Almond)
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 heaping teaspoon Truvia or 1 tablespoon sugar or 1 & 1/2 packets of stevia
  • 2 tsp coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup Egg Beaters or 1 beaten egg
  • 2 tablespoons chocolate chips (or 4 Milky Way Midnight Minis or about 2/3 of a full sized candy bar, chopped)
*Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup, fill it about half full of ground almond meal and then fill it the rest of the way with ground flax seed meal.   I mix equal parts ground flax and almond meal and store it in a jar in the fridge which makes this recipe really quick to make.

In a 2 cup microwavable bowl or ramekin, combine the dry ingredients and smash any lumps.  Add the coconut oil or butter and if it's solid, smash it into the dry ingredients with the back of a spoon.  It doesn't have to be totally mixed in, just break it up into smaller lumps.  Scrape the coconut oil off the back of the spoon.  Add the Egg Beaters or beaten egg and mix thoroughly.  Stir in the chocolate chips or chopped candy.  Microwave for 60 seconds.  Run a knife around the bowl to loosen the cake and plop it, upside down, on a plate.  Be careful, the bowl is hot!  Let cool for a few minutes.  Flip the cake over so the right side is up.  Add icing (recipe is below) or frosting of your choice or sprinkle with powder sugar or shredded coconut or top with whipped cream or serve with a scoop of ice cream.  Enjoy!

Serves: 2

Midnight Icing

  • 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
  • About 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon water
  • About 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
  • 2 Milky Way Midnight Minis, chopped (or 1/3 of a full sized candy bar)
In a small microwavable bowl, combine the sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of water and stir until the sugar dissolves.  Add the chopped candy bar and coconut oil and microwave 15-20 seconds.  Stir, stir, stir (it will take some serious stirring to get it to come together) until the icing is smooth.   If it's too thick, add a few drops of water.  Work fast because the icing will stiffen up really quickly!  Pour on top of the warm cake and spread it to the edges.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Squeak,
    I became very concerned when I read "Milky Way" in your ingredients! I have celiac disease, and I can't eat Milky Ways anymore because they contain MALTED BARLEY (from their ingredients list). Now maybe you're OK, because you say you are just glucose-intolerant, but for full-blown celiac disease barley is a no-no. Sorry to be such an old grandma!

    ReplyDelete